This week’s video is a series of seated strength exercises. Grab a chair and your weights, cans of soup or water bottles and let’s get to work on maintaining our muscle.
As we age, muscle strength diminishes more rapidly. This is just part of the aging process, so it’s up to us to do the maintenance required to make sure we can stay active and independent well into our senior years.
Here are just a few of the many benefits of strength training:
- Stops the wasting away of muscles that happens with age.
- Muscles burn more calories than fat so you are revving up your metabolism and warding off weight gain.
- When you work the muscles, they tug on the bones making them stronger, warding off osteoporosis and osteopenia.
- Building your musculoskeletal system to give you a strong frame to help ward off instability and prevent falls.
- Keeping you toned so you feel more comfortable and confident in your clothes.
So three times a week, commit to taking time to maintain and build your muscle with these seated strength exercises, allowing for a day of recovery between workouts so that the muscles have time to repair and rebuild. If you’re in need of a good pair of weights, these are a great lightweight option for gaining muscle tone.
Here’s to FEELING GOOD!